Electrical safety extends across the board, from humans to our pets. We should always be aware of the dangers around the house and in the yard. Part of being a responsible pet owner is knowing those potential hazards exist, where they are, and how to prevent them.
Some rules of thumb to make sure your pets remain shock-free:
- Make sure the plugs in your outlets are secure. An exposed prong can lead to a nasty zap.
- Some animals like to chew on power cables. Make sure your electrical cords are in good condition. Treat with bitter-tasting pet deterrents or invest in pet-proof cords. You can also wrap your cords in flexible cable or PVC.
- Don’t leave your electrical appliances unattended. Turn off and unplug any electronics before you leave the room.
- Keep pets away from exposed lamps, especially ones with halogen bulbs.
- Block your pets from the spaces behind your computer, TV equipment or any place where numerous electrical connections are present.
- Be aware of any outdoor underground electrical or cable lines, especially if Fido likes to dig.
- Don’t leave your pets out in an electrical storm. Bring them inside or move them to a safe place.
Keeping your pets safe from electrical dangers is easy – but it requires vigilance. Be sure to address any potential hazards before they result in a cat-astrophe! Contact your local Mister Sparky for more ways to keep you and your pet safe.