We're Open & Here For You! Important Coronavirus Information - Click Here to Learn More

Electrical Hazards in Homes – as Found by Electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC

A photo of a power strip

We, at Mister Sparky, have seen a lot of homeowners make the simplest form of electrical mistakes. Even though these mistakes are simple, they can cause electrical fires or dangerous electrocutions. We want to see a change in such cases, which is why we’re posting with this article on the most common household electrical hazards. Our best electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC will be at your disposal to handle these hazards for you.

The electrical hazards that need to be discussed here, as recognized by electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC, are:

  • Using or leaving electrical appliances near water
  • Employing the wrong wattage of light bulbs in your home
  • Overloading outlets and power strips
  • Faulty and/or outdated wiring

We’re not done yet. We’re going to shed some light on each of these electrical hazards for you and your family’s safety. If that sounds like a good deal to you, then you can read further on how these hazards can be prevented.

#1: Using or Leaving an Electrical Appliance Near Water

You probably already knew this, but that’s not how mistakes work, do they? The impurities in water are known to be excellent conductors of electricity, so even the slightest loss of balance could prove to be fatal. You’d be surprised how many of the cases of electrocution or electrical shock were because of this issue.

In order to avoid this hazard, you can stop placing electrical appliances near water in the first place. All your power tools, hair dryers, radios, TVs should be far away from water and you’ll get used to using them elsewhere.

If these electronic items still do get wet, then the very first thing you do shouldn’t be unplugging the electrical appliance or touching it. Instead you should go to the circuit breaker of your home and locate the power source that the appliance is connected to. Once this is done, then you can go ahead and unplug the appliance and wait for it to dry off.

If the appliance doesn’t work after drying off, then you can call in professional electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC.

#2: Employing the Wrong Wattage of Light Bulbs in Your Home

Light bulbs seem quite harmless don’t they? Well, if you’ve got one which has a wattage that is too high, then you’ll probably face what is called ‘overlamping’. This term signifies the instance where too much heat has been created by a light bulb and the fixture wasn’t made to bear it.

When this occurs, then the wire insulation of the fixture or the light socket can actually melt, and result in arcing. This means that sparks can jump in between wires. It is one for the biggest causes of shocks or electrical fires in household.

Instead, you should always check for the wattage ratings of the bulbs you purchase and match it with the preferred wattage rating on the fixture. If you have trouble finding these ratings, then you should heed the advice of electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC.

#3: Overloading Outlets and Power Strips

Not only do overloaded power strips look bad but they are also very dangerous. This is so because these power strips are made to handle limited amounts of electricity. This means that you shouldn’t plug in too many appliances into these power strips, especially the appliances which have been classified as high-powered. If this is done, the capacity of the outlet would get exceeded and cause the overheated wires to start an electrical fire.

To avoid a hazard, all you have to do is remove some of the plugs in an outlet, and utilize them somewhere else. If this is not an option, then you can upgrade your power outlets to one which has a higher amperage rating.

There are two signs, as per electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC, that you need to upgrade your outlet. Firstly, if the outlet had 2 prongs, then it is quite old and has a greater chance to cause an electrical fire. You should opt for the three pronged outlets instead.

Secondly, if plugs aren’t fitting into the power outlet anymore, then they are either broken or worn out. You may even notice breaks or cracks in these panels. In either case, you should ask you electricians in Myrtle Beach, SC about worthy replacements.

#4: Unprotected Electrical Outlets

Another common risk in household is that of outlets which don’t have protective coverings. This is especially dangerous for households with pets and children, because they can get curious about shiny metal objects lying around.

So if you don’t want people in your household to get electrical shocks or get electrical burns, then you should install wall plates for their protection. The easiest way to do this is to book an appointment with an electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC.

#5: Faulty and/or Outdated Wiring

This particular hazard was actually recognized by the National Fire Prevention Association. It was found that the biggest reason for residential fires is that the electrical system employs wiring which is either faulty or outdated.

The best ways to recognize if your home’s wiring is outdated or faulty are:

  • You usually hear buzzing sounds from outlets
  • You’ve seen burn marks around outlets
  • You can usually smell burning plastic
  • The switches or the outlets themselves are usually hot when touched
  • You’ve seen spliced or frayed wires
  • Your circuit breakers are prone to trips
  • You’ve seen a lot of dimming or flickering lights and never knew why they occur
  • You house is above thirty years old

If you’ve seen even one of these signs, then you have a chance of facing the hazards of faulty or outdated wiring. Contact an electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC as soon as possible to make your home safe again.

Mister Sparky® of Myrtle Beach

If you are considering contacting an electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, don’t look any further. You can visit our website for scheduled or emergency services 24/7! Your safety is our priority.