What should you do if someone you know gets shocked? Electrical shock can be frightening and is more common than you may think, so emergency electrocution preparation is key. Household outlets, light fixtures, and electric fences are just a few of the likely causes.

If someone you know gets shocked, contact 911 or other emergency number then check for these symptoms:

  •         Cardiac arrest
  •         Heart rhythm problems
  •         Respiratory failure
  •         Muscle pain and contractions
  •         Burns
  •         Seizures
  •         Numbness and tingling
  •         Unconsciousness

Follow these steps to ensure both their safety and your own:

  •         Before touching them, make sure they are no longer in contact with the object that shocked them. It could pass the current to you.
  •         Move the source away and/or turn it off if you can.
  •         Check to see if they are able to breathe. If not, begin CPR if you know how.
  •         To keep the victim from going into shock, lay them down with their legs elevated.

Keeping all of this in mind could save a life or prevent lasting injuries from an electric shock. Remember to stay safe and avoid possibly dangerous materials.