Warning Signs Before an Electrical Fire

electrical fire

About 51,000 home fires each year are the result of a malfunction in the electrical system.
When a residential fire begins, it can take anywhere from just a few minutes to an hour for a
house to burn down completely. This is much faster than it used to be due to a more common
presence of synthetic materials used in homes today. However, there are usually signs before
an electrical fire occurs that can alert you and your family in time to stay safe:


● Burning Smell: If you notice a persistent and burning smell, this could be a sign of a
malfunctioning electrical system. Try to identify first what general area the smell is
coming from and shut off the power to that area. If you are unsure, turn off power around
your entire home and call an electrician. If the smell becomes overpowering, or you see
smoke, leave the premises and call 911.

● Breaker Tripping: If the breakers in your home only trip once in a while, it may not be a
big deal. However, if the breakers in your home trip often, this can cause a fire.
Understand that breakers are designed to trip as a way to protect you by cutting off the
flow of electricity inorder to prevent overheating. If the breaker trips too much it might
stop tripping altogether and that is when it can overheat and cause a fire.

● Outlet/Switch Discoloration: If you notice discoloration, this could be a sign of faulty
wiring, which can lead to sparks or a fire. If you touch your outlet or non-dimming switch
and it feels warm, this is also a negative sign and you should call an electrician.

● Dimming Lights: If you have lights in your home that are not supposed to dim, and you
notice them dim or flicker this could be due to an overloaded circuit, faulty wiring, or
power supply. Either way something is causing this to happen, and it is a good idea to
get the issue evaluated by a qualified electrician.

If you notice any of these issues, begin by turning off the power to that area, and then call an
electrician just to be safe. If the situation seems unsafe, call 911 as well. At Mister Sparky safety
is one of our biggest priorities, so if you are in need of an electrician you can trust call (210)
899-2430.