When it comes to your home’s electrical wiring it’s easy to think, “If it works, it must be OK.” Unfortunately, this is simply not the case. While your home’s electrical system may appear sufficient, it could be using dangerous or illegal methods that you weren’t even aware of.
Faulty electrical wiring is one of the biggest causes of house fires and electrocution. To keep your home safe, make sure you aren’t making any of these five electrical mistakes:
1. Leaving Wires Unprotected
When wire is run through wood framing, there must be a 1.25-inch margin between the edge of the beam and the wire. This prevents wiring from being punctured or snagged by nails or screws inserted into the dry wall. When wiring is punctured, it can cause a short, damaging your electrical devices, or even causing a fire. If any wires must be run less than 1.25 inches away the edge of a wooden beam, you can avoid a dangerous situation by placing a nail plate between the beam and the drywall.
2. Using Poorly Supported Outlets and Switches
If an electrical box is too big, or a particular outlet or switch gets frequent use, the drywall behind it may begin to crumble. This can cause wiring to loosen and overheat, creating a fire hazard.
3. Cutting Wires Too Short
When wires are too short, a proper connection is harder to achieve. And, as we all know, improper electrical wiring is dangerous! It is best practice to keep all wires long enough to stick out 3 inches from the electrical box.
4. Making Connections Outside Electrical Boxes
You should never connect wires outside of electrical boxes! An electrical box is designed to keep connections intact and prevent shorts and other unexpected issues from damaging your home.
5. Overstuffing Electrical Boxes
When too many wires are crammed inside a single electrical box, they may overheat due to lack of airspace. This can cause the wire insulation to melt, or worse – start a fire. If an electrical box is not large enough to support the number of wires you need to fit in it, do not attempt to jam them inside. Just get a bigger box.
Is Your Electrical System Safe?
Many times, homeowners are completely unaware of the potential electrical dangers lying behind their walls, outlets and light switches. That’s why it’s important to hire a qualified electrician who is experienced with national and local code regulations, to perform your electrical work.
The Mister Sparky team strictly adheres to all regulations outlined in the National Electric Code, ensuring all of our work is up to code. When you hire Mister Sparky® of Largo to handle your electrical projects big and small, you can rest assured your home’s electrical system will be safe to operate. Give us a call today to speak with a knowledgeable representative or schedule an appointment online.