Do you wake up to find your appliances are barely alive? Do you find that your home devices just aren’t working like they used to? You may be living with a vampire…an energy vampire!
The average homeowner spends approximately *$1,368.68 on his or her electricity bill, and 35% of that power used is wasted. Some of this wasted energy comes from “vampire” appliances, which use energy even when they are switched off. Hence, these energy-sucking devices are detrimental not only to the environment, but also to your wallet.
It’s always good to be aware of what energy culprits you may have in your home.
- Digital Cable or Satellite DVRs
- Computer (Laptops use more energy than desktops.)
- Central Heating Furnace (Even turned off, furnaces can use a lot of electricity.)
- Routers & Modems
- Gaming Consoles
- Microwave (AND the microwave clock!)
What you should do to beat the drain
It'll take more than garlic to keep your energy bill down. But there are things you can do to cut down on wasted power.
- Unplug your devices when not in use.
- Add multiple appliances to one power strip. That way you can turn off all of them at once!
- Buy products, like LED lights, that have low standby power usage.
- Invest in Energy Star appliances.
- Find out how much power you’re actually using by with a home energy audit.
Contact your local Mister Sparky for more information on what you can do to save energy AND money.
*Visual Capitalist.com (2016 figures)