Taking On an Electrical Installation Or Repair Yourself
Many home owners may take on do-it-yourself electrical projects because it can be less expensive to undertake a task themselves then it would be to hire an electrician. If you are fully capable, then by all means, go right ahead. Just be sure to call in a specialist if things go over your head. For the less knowledgeable and experienced, be aware of some of the possible risks involved. The more you know the better.
Be Aware of These Facts When Working on an DIY Electrical Project
- It is illegal to perform an electrical services without a permit, and you could lose your homeowners insurance coverage.
- Thousands of deaths occur each year because of electrical mishaps.
- House fires, shocks, and other injuries can occur when working with electrical wires.
If that doesn’t deter you, and you believe you are capable of taking on an electrical project of your own, then here are some useful pointers to help you out.
Tips for DIY Electrical Projects
- Be prepared to invest a lot of time into planning and preparation.
- Make sure the power is off before you do any electrical work on a circuit.
- Be sure to post a sign on the service panel so that nobody tries to restore power while you’re working on circuits.
- Be sure to label a diagram before unhooking wires so you don’t have to guess how to reconnect them.
- Avoid damp areas to prevent shock.
- Don’t overload sockets and be sure to unplug equipment not in use.
- Check to see if wires have any wear and tear.
- Don’t take chances, and contact a professional if need be.
- Paste yourself and don’t rush any work.
- Use tools with rubber grips.
- Wear shoes with non-conductive soles.
Even though do-it-yourself projects may appear to save you money, it is always less expensive and dangerous to hire an electrician that knows what he or she is doing, than it would be to improperly work on a task yourself. Get the job done right the first go around. Being economical should never be a substitute for personal safety. Avoid injuries by hiring one of our certified electrical experts at Mister Sparky.
Our electricians at Mister Sparky® of Dallas Fort Worth are true professionals and ready to take on any task. Don’t assume you can tackle any project if you are unsure of something. Team up instead. Call us today.