Helpful Storm Season Tips
Mister Sparky® of Birmingham wants to help you prepare for storm season with these special tips!
Preparing For A Storm:
- You can use surge protectors to help protect electric appliances from power surges during a storm. However, it’s best to unplug electronic devices entirely if possible.
- If a major storm comes and you don’t have a main surge protector, turn off your breaker to avoid power surges; if recommended by emergency officials.
- If you have a standby generator, make sure it has been properly maintained by a licensed electrician and is in running order.
- Make sure to trim or clear trees and limbs near your home.
- Always make sure you have flashlights, candles, lighters, extra portable power banks and water.
During A Storm:
- You should remember generator safety! Portable generators should be outside in a well-ventilated area. Never operate a generator inside the garage or home, which will fill the area with carbon monoxide and increase the risk of CO poisoning, and potentially death. Make sure your generator is correctly installed by a licensed electrician if it’s wired to your house.
After A Storm:
- Walk around the house and make sure there is no damage to the outlets, panels, overhead power lines, or lighting. If something does look damaged call a licensed electrician and get it repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage and costly repairs.