According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the nation’s fire departments respond to over 24,000 home electrical fires yearly that result in an estimated 225 deaths and $1.2 billion in property loss. Half of those home electrical fires involve the home’s electrical system, including lighting and/or wiring, which should have been updated or repaired.
A few warning signs your home may need to be rewired, according to State Farm Insurance, include the following:
● Your home is 40+ years old.
● You notice a burning smell or buzzing sounds.
● Your home has ungrounded, two-prong outlets.
● You notice sparks from an outlet or experience electrical shocks when you plug in or unplug a cord.
● Cords or switch plates feel hot to touch.
● Your home has aluminum instead of copper wiring.
● You frequently are replacing burned-out bulbs or experiencing frequent blown fuses.
● You notice flickering lights.
While rewiring or updating your home’s electrical system might take some investment, your home and family’s safety is most important. If you experience any warning signs that make you suspect your electrical system needs to be repaired, you should contact a licensed electrician for an inspection. Call Mister Sparky San Antonio at (210) 899-2430 or visit our website at https:// www.mistersparky.com/san-antonio/ for more information on electrical services if you experience any of these warning signs.