Happy Earth Day! As the capabilities of technology have increased we are beginning to see more and more Electric Vehicles on the roads. This is great because they are not only economical and efficient, but they are also more environmentally healthy than some other forms of transportation making them a great earth day topic.
Before installing Electric Vehicle (EV) chargers in your home, there are a couple things to note:
● Not every home is compatible with every type of charger, and while your regular outlets may work, they may not be the most efficient option for your EV.
● An EV’s ability to charge quickly depends on the home's electrical supply, and the EV charging unit used. There are 3 types of chargers:
1. Level 1: This type of charger comes with a standard electric vehicle and uses a home standard outlet to charge overnight
2. Level 2: These require an electrician to install, and need a dedicated 240- volt circuit to supply a current strong enough to charge an electric vehicle quickly. For each hour of charging they can add approximately 70 miles of range.
3. Level 3: The fastest of the 3 chargers, but require an industrial supply of power making them extremely difficult for homeowners to install. However, they can charge a vehicle battery to 80% in 30 minutes.
● There are both local and national electric codes in regards to the installation of EV charging stations, so it is important to meet both requirements.
At the moment Electrical Vehicles are the cleanest option as their entire life cycle is much more sustainable overall than other modes of transportation. On average, the produce only half the amount of a conventional vehicle's carbon emissions over its lifetime. So, if you are looking for help during the installation process, or if you have questions about the electrical capabilities of your home, reach out to us at (210) 899-2430.