The average household dedicates 5% of energy costs to lighting. While that might not seem like a lot, it can certainly add up over time. Thankfully, there is an easy and cost-effective way to maintain the level of lighting in your home while cutting down on costs. By simply switching to energy-efficient lightbulbs, you could save money on electric bills and have peace of mind.
Switch to Energy Efficient Lightbulbs
You’re familiar with traditional incandescent lightbulbs but might not know that they are energy guzzlers as they waste energy through releasing heat. Although they were a standard for many decades, more efficient and safer forms of lighting have since become available.
New, energy-efficient, and safe forms of lightbulbs include halogen incandescent, CFL, and LED. Here’s a breakdown of each:
- Halogen—Halogen incandescent bulbs operate through a chemical reaction of gas inside a glass casing. While they’re not as energy efficient as some other types on the market, they are still a great choice because they meet efficiency standards and are around 30% more efficient than traditional light bulbs.
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL)—Although they function just like their typical fluorescent counterpart, CFL bulbs are identified by their spiral light pattern. They’re often found in light fixtures or recessed lighting that hides their unique shape. These bulbs use ¼ of the energy requirement compared to incandescent lighting.
- Light Emitting Diode (LED)—LED lighting works by converting energy into light. They’re a popular choice because they come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors, and features. They’re long-lasting, durable, and require less energy to operate than other types of bulbs.
In addition to these types of energy-efficient light bulbs, consider using smart bulbs in your home. Smart bulbs allow for total control over your lighting from your smartphone or voice-activated devices.
Benefits of Upgrading to Energy Efficient Lightbulbs
While new lightbulbs might cost a few extra dollars up front, there are many benefits to switching to LED, CFL, and halogen lightbulbs. This includes:
- Cost savings—For example, LED lightbulbs to use about 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs.
- Lighting options—CFL and LED bulbs are ENERGYSTAR rated and come in a wide variety of lighting options for indoor and outdoor use. While LED bulbs can better mimic traditional lighting rendering over CFL bulbs, there are many color temperature options to choose from.
- Color options—In addition to a variety of color temperatures, the possibility for color options are endless when it comes to CFL and LED bulbs.
- Availability—As incandescent bulbs were phased out, LED, CFL, and Halogen lighting became widely available. You can find these types of bulbs anywhere lightbulbs are sold.
- Longer lasting—LED lightbulbs to have an average lifespan of about 25,000 hours compared to just 1,200 with incandescent bulbs! LED bulbs also do not run as hot as other types of bulbs which contributes to its longer lifespan.
Electrician in Pleasantville, NJ
Mister Sparky of Pleasantville is your choice for expert electrical repairs. Our local experts are certified, experienced, and fully-equipped to handle any electrical job, no matter how big or small. Contact our professional electricians day or night for prompt services.